Project 4 Final

I gutted my concept again, and still went with knights, but in a different context. I decided to go with a political comic as my subject, depicting the President as an obtuse knight with a very tired donkey steed and North Korea's dictator as a warrior in the same time period. I started by sketching on paper, inking it, and erasing what lines I could. The rest were removed digitally using Levels, which is unusual for me because I usually use a red or blue pencil and just remove that color.




As you can see, I don't have the best scanner at home for scanning a large sketchbook, but I also didn't remember what settings I usually fiddle with (it's a new scanner).


Since Kyle Webster recently struck a deal with Adobe to only have his brushes available through CC, I got a subscription myself and worked on this at home primarily as a wet media test with my tablet. As you can see, the watercolors and gouache are remarkably realistic, and even act like it as you work with them. I felt like the use of mostly loose linework (minus the upper portraits) would make the use of watercolors more "childish," since that is the opinion I was trying to convey with this.

Post-critique, I took the advice to minimize the color of the center panel's background, and I think that it makes the overall look much better.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 4 Concept in Progress

Revised Project 3